Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome to "What I Ate Today"

As a Registered Dietitian, I am considered a food and nutrition expert.

I KNOW what I should eat for optimal health and wellness. The general premise has been well summarized, most notably by Marion Nestle: Eat less, mostly vegetables, move more, stay away from junk food. The truth of the matter is: It is not that easy. Not for me, probably not for most. I am busy. I am surrounded by food (good stuff and "bad") everywhere I go. I like sweets. And even though I KNOW what to eat, I don't always make that choice. I try... but it doesn't always work out.

My initial goal is to post/tweet twice a week. In many ways this will be a public food journal/diary. You can expect some nutritional tidbits here and there. Keeping a food journal/diary is commonly recommended to individuals. It can do several things:
  • Make an individual more aware of their choices, often illuminating habits and patterns
  • Instill a sense of personal responsibility to good food choices
  • Provide information to health care professionals
Keeping a food journal/diary has been identified as a powerful weight loss tool. Two or three days a week provides a better picture than any single day could. But honestly, food journaling is work, three days a week provides enough information without being too burdensome.


"What I Ate Today" is a commitment to document what I eat and why. It is an effort to both educate others about the realities of making thoughtful food choices and introduce new information, 
strategies, products and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment